Travel Gallery

Tuesday 27 September 2011

The Taj Mahal

Day 18


Departing from the dreaded Hostel Nirvana we found that in fact they'd trapped us in. The large gate was locked with a padlock so the only option was to scale the neighboring walls. Tom, Dom and I chose the shoulder height wall perpendicular to the gate. It had a ledge on the opposite side which we could quite easily use to step onto the dusty street below. George however decided that the shoulder height wall was insurmountable, and chose the slightly lower wall to the right of the gate. Tom, Dom and I watched on as he straddled the wall, only to realise that the drop was higher than he imagined. He proceeded to make a pigs ear of his decent to earth. With a lack of grace that would have had Ganesh flapping his ears in disgust, and simultaneously had us crippled with laughter as we watched on, too occupied to help, George slid down the side of the wall. Awkwardly he touched ground. "I thought it would be easier", he confessed, looking at his grazed palms. Tom produced a med kit; fixing George up with a plaster and some friendly mockery.

The comedy continued as we witnessed two frisky dogs going at it in the middle of the road. We left them behind with a few 'doggy style' jokes, pressing on for the Taj Mahal. 

It was just past sunrise when we arrived. As we got there so early the queues hadn't yet formed but we had a minor setback when security refused to let me in with my bag, which was 'too big', George's dice and cards, incase he 'played with them', and Tom had to debate that infact his much smaller bag was perfectly fine...

The hassle was worthwhile. Our quartet stood awestruck at the mighty Indian landmark. Towering with an imposing beauty against the blue sky, the Taj Mahal affected us all. It's white dome reflected with a peaceful stillness in the shallow waters of the grounds. Just like the Eiffel Tower, Statue of Liberty and the Sydney opera house, the Taj Mahal is so recognisable; iconic of it's native India.





It was this fact that affected me most of all. I'd walked to the site expecting a bit of an anticlimax. For some reason I assumed it would be over-hyped, just a boring building that for some reason people flocked to visit, a result of it's picture book fame. My cynicism was unfounded. I suddenly understood that it deserved its fame. For some reason it had me hooked. It's difficult to describe how it felt but there was almost a mystical aura, gripping me with it's own tranquility.

More tourists start to appear and before long, a free-for-all photographic brawl broke out. All the tourists, both foreign and Indian, attempt to muscle their way to the front to get the classic photo. Everyone wants to pose in front of the impressive building (including us)!

We wandered along the grounds and I started to take some more alternative photos. The vast crowds and excited tourists made for some great photographic opportunities so I tried to capture the mood. I managed to film a bit too, although the intense sunlight made for harsh contrasts between the light and the shadows. Having no sun-guard for the LCD screen meant that for some of the time I was filming blind as well. Therefore, I found still image a much better way to document the visit.

The Taj Mahal stood tall and proud on an elevated stage. Like bishops on a giant chess board, columns stood at all four corners, guarding the main mausoleum. Waiting in the wings were two symmetrical red stone structures with many pillars. One of which was a mosque . The River Yamuna flows past in the shadow of the dome, making for an impressive backdrop to an altogether breathtaking scene.

Built in 1653, the main mausoleum was built as an elaborate tomb for Mumtaz Mahal by Mughal emporer Shah Jahan. You can go inside. There was an amazing reverberation of sound, as the voices of tourists bounce around within the giant dome; it made for an eerie soundtrack. 

The inside was disappointingly neglected compared to the immaculate exterior. There was even a bit of graffiti in one place. It's surprising how somewhere with such laborious security measures at the gates, fails to guard the actual building itself. I took a soundbite and left.

I made sure I got to sit down and just take in the whole picture. Plugging in my iPod, I sat absorbing the scene, watching all the people pointing their many cameras Mahal-wards. Muse's Exogenesis plays in my ears. Total relaxation.


Ewan 

No comments:

Post a Comment